Thursday, April 27, 2017

Foundations Blog 4-Fletcher Cleaves

We recently had a visitor come to class. His name is Fletcher Cleaves. He came to speak to our class about his spinal cord injury. I was very moved by his perseverance. Doctors told him that he would never be able to do certain things again and he would have huge limitations. He did not let any of those things hold him back. He adapted to his environment and learned to do things differently. I do believe it helped that he was an athlete. This helped with his recovery time and perseverance that he already had from being on the field and training. Fletcher's message is one that has been heard before, "do not text and drive. " He shared the three things people are usually doing while driving and two were very surprising! they were: Netflix and youtube. This shocked me. Who would do either of these while driving? Then I remembered, my husband has before. On long road trips he will plug Netflix into the radio and listen to a show or movie while driving. This helps to keep him awake. He can be ADHD sometime....well most times. I think a great research opportunity would be to see if there is a correlation of distracted drivers and ADHD. ADHD is commonly diagnosed. Technology has also helped to consume our time and assists those with ADHD in being able to get distracted. I would believe that there is a correlation. I think this would be an amazing study. Back to Fletcher, I am glad that AT&T has backed him and is giving him a platform to share his story with the world. #TheSkyisNOTtheLimit
Attached is a copy of Fletcher's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBaLbubNd4&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment