Thursday, May 4, 2017

Blog Post 10-Cultural perspectives

I really enjoyed listening to the the required materials for class today, even the ones in class. It is easy to forget that there are other people in the world. Some of those people have issues bigger than deciding what to wear or eat that day. They have to survive for their life. America is seen as a safe haven. Because of this, America is a layer of cultural bubbles. Each with their bubble layer has different thoughts, actions, beliefs, and language. I think it is amazing how many different cultural bubbles we move in and out of each day. America is a melting pot of cultures, yet somehow all these cultures work together (most of the time) in the same place. 
The Story that impacted me the most is the podcast on The First Cow. The way she described coming to America and the first experiences she had, really made me think of how I perceive the world around me. It made me think of how I would describe a fire alarm or the schooling process. A refugee is really someone who needs an OT to assimilate into the American culture. They are at a disadvantage to understanding. Obviously the social worker didn't think to describe the sound of a fire alarm, causing them to flee from their house at the sound of the doorbell. OT's could help to explain how society perceives things to decrease the embarrassment that someone may feel from not doing things right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment